Tag: 上海北桥新建街女没有

2 plead no contest to manslaughter

first_imgLANCASTER – A Lancaster man and teenager have pleaded no contest to voluntary manslaughter for killing a 50-year-old man in 2005 because of a previous fight and a dispute over a necklace. Reggie Hines, 29, and Barry Hawes, 17, entered their pleas after prosecutors agreed to dismiss charges of murder. “I think it was a fair resolution to the case, keeping in mind the interests of justice. It was an appropriate resolution,” Deputy District Attorney Robert Sherwood said. Hines and Hawes, who was 15 at the time, were charged in the Valentine’s Day 2005 slaying of Darryl Watkins in the courtyard of a Beech Avenue apartment complex. Authorities said Watkins was beaten and shot by gang members Hines recruited. Prosecutors said Hines was seeking revenge because Watkins had beaten him up earlier in the day in a fight over money that Watkins believed Hines had taken from him. Hawes wanted to retrieve a necklace Watkins had found in his car after Hawes had driven it, officials said. Hawes, the alleged gunman, pleaded no contest Monday to voluntary manslaughter and admitted firearm and gang allegations and will face 25 years in prison when he is sentenced in May. Hines entered his plea and admitted a gun allegation Tuesday and was sentenced to 12 years in prison. A relative described Watkins as a disabled former railroad worker and Army veteran who came to Lancaster from Indiana three weeks or a month before he was slain. The night before the slaying, Hawes drove Watkins’ car without permission, according to prosecutors. Hawes was stopped by police and the car impounded, the necklace inside. [email protected] (661) 267-5744160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Read More 2 plead no contest to manslaughter