Tag: 上海419论坛体验

Joshna, Dipika can break into worlds top 5: Indias coach

first_imgBy Bharat Sharma Greater Noida, Aug 25 (PTI) Leading womens squash players, Joshna Chinappa and Dipika Pallikal, are very much capable of breaking into the top five of the world rankings, believes Indias Egyptian coach Achraf El Karagui. Both Chinappa and Pallikal have broken the top-10 barrier in the past (they remain the only two Indians to do so) but have been unable to cement their place in the elite club. They are currently ranked 14th and 22nd respectively. “They definitely have it in them to be in the top five. Joshna is playing better than ever, she is supremely fit. Dipika too is supremely talented and has been working hard of late to improve her fitness,” Karagui told PTI on the sidelines of the Senior Nationals here today. “I see both of them playing for the next five, six years. Dipika mind you is only 25 despite being on the pro tour for a long time. Joshna is 30 and in squash you tend to peak when you are in your 30s. She has been playing brilliant in the last 12 months or so,” said the foreign coach, who has been in India for over an year now. Results have too come too since Karagui took charge of the senior and junior teams in July last year. Most notable performances came from Chinappa, who made the top 10 for the first time before winning the prestigious Asian Championships earlier this year, and Velavan Senthilkumar, who won the coveted British Junior Open beating compatriot Abhay Singh inthe U-19 final. According to world number 27 and countrys number one male player, Saurav Ghosal, Indian squash is in the middle of a golden generation. However, Karagui feels a lot more needs to be done and achieved. “All the leading Indians including Saurav can be world beaters but they must know how to win close matches against the top players. And thats what I have been focusing on in the last 12 months. “They have all the strokes in the book but they need to get better at the tactical side of the game. Modern squash is fiercely competitive and you should be able to play in different ways depending on what the situation demands. Like when to attack and when to slow things down,” said Karagui, who is also a chemical engineer. Karagui, whose contract is extended till 2019, is primarily targeting a pool of 6-7 world class players. And he wants Indians to be worlds best and not just be satisfied with medals at Asian and Commonwealth Games. “When I came here, I could sense there was a lot of focus on doing well in Asian and Commonwealth Games. But with that approach, you cannot be world beaters. You have to aim to be the best. And that is where I want India to be,” said Karagui. The Alexandria-based coach cited the example of his own country Egypt in that respect. “1996 was the time when we changed the structure of squash back home. Our president Hosni Mubarak also played a big role in developing the sport which is now number two after football. “What changed in 96 was that we created a league structure which covered age groups from 11 to 23. So in every age group, we started grooming players. Initially it was tough but once cycle started running smooth, we began churning out players in a phased way,” he said. “I am in talks with the federation of creating a similar structure in India. But since it is a huge country, the task will be anything but easy,” Karagui added. PTI BS SSC SSCadvertisementlast_img read more

Read More Joshna, Dipika can break into worlds top 5: Indias coach

Quebec government to maintain gun registry deadline will ease some criteria

first_imgQUEBEC — The Quebec government says its provincial long gun registry will come into force as planned next week, but it is promising added flexibility in the requirements for gun owners.Public Security Minister Genevieve Guilbault says the Coalition Avenir Quebec government will introduce a bill easing some of the rules in legislation adopted in 2016.With the Jan. 29 deadline for registering less than a week away, she says about 350,000 people have listed their weapons — with a notable hike this month as the deadline looms.The province has previously estimated that Quebecers own 1.6 million long guns, mostly shotguns and rifles.Guilbault says once the amendments are passed, gun owners will no longer have to notify the registry of a temporary change in the location where firearms are stored. They won’t have to provide the registration number upon request by a peace officer or provide the barrel length when registering a weapon.Guilbault says the registry will be in effect as of Jan. 30 and advises gun owners to register their weapons to avoid fines of up to $5,000.“There is a law, and the law as well as the registry are here to stay, so people have to comply,” Guilbault told reporters in Quebec City. “They have a few days left to register their guns legally, because as of Jan. 30, fines could apply.”The Canadian Presslast_img read more

Read More Quebec government to maintain gun registry deadline will ease some criteria

Im actually repulsed that youre here AFN votes to oust Buller from

first_img(MKO Grand Chief Sheila North Wilson at the Assembly of First Nations special chiefs assembly Thursday. Photo: APTN)Paul Barnsley APTN NewsAs Missing and Murdered Women and Girls Inquiry Chief Commissioner Marion Buller was telling APTN that she would ask the federal government for a two year extension of the inquiry’s mandate, a resolution brought to the Assembly of First Nations December assembly floor by Fort William First Nation Chief Peter Collins was being debated by the chiefs and proxies.Shortly after, the resolution endorsing an extension of the mandate was passed.But an amendment calling for Buller to be replaced was included.The vote was 48-15. Although there were close to 250 chiefs in attendance for Day 1 of the three-day affair, the quorum is established based on the number of chiefs in attendance each day.Since the hall in the Ottawa Westin was nowhere as crowded on the assembly’s final day as it had been for the first two days, the 63 votes met the rules for a quorum.(Inquiry commissioner Marion Buller addressing the AFN Thursday. Photo: APTN)Buller had just finished addressing the assembly. It had been an emotional couple of hours.The grief, anger and frustration percolating in First Nations communities across Canada erupted into raw fury at times Thursday morning, with Buller, accompanied by Commissioner Qajaq Robinson, bearing the brunt of it.Delaware Nation at Moravian Town Chief Denise Stonefish, who is also a member of the Assembly of First Nations (AFN) women’s council, predicted on the first day of the assembly that Buller was going to hear some criticism.“The AFN is prepared to call for some changes to the inquiry process if it is not proceeding in a good way,” Stonefish said.As the final day began and the chiefs awaited Buller’s arrival, Stonefish reminded them that they had passed a resolution last July calling for the inquiry to be less legalistic and less top-down.But after Buller’s 35-minute address to the chiefs, the floor was thrown open to comments and questions.Long lines had already formed at the two microphones provided for people on the floor to address the assembly.(Jocelyn Wabano-Iahtail at the AFN meeting Thursday in Ottawa. Photo: APTN)Jocelyn Wabano-Iahtail, an activist from Attawapiskat, went first and she was angry.“You give us our inquiry back,” she told Buller. “Without ceremony, it’s a gong show.”She said people from her community had testified at one of the inquiry’s 28 community visits so far. She said they had been left without food, accommodation or travel.“You left us with no supports whatsoever,” she added. “My nephew is now dead after giving testimony to your inquiry. How do you fix that exactly?”She said the inquiry had lost records that the family needed.Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak (MKO) Grand Chief Sheila North Wilson joined in on the attack.“This issue became a national election issue, an international issue, because of the women, the work they did lobbying for an inquiry,” she said. “You’re making it about yourself and your commissioners.”Buller sat at head table stoically absorbing the criticism without reaction.“You’re probably a brilliant person but you’re not a brilliant commissioner,” North Wilson continued. “I’m actually repulsed that you’re here, showing no emotion. We need to see you resign. We see a commission that’s falling apart. You need to go.”Given the chance to defend herself, Buller chose not to respond to the specific criticisms.“I’m always grateful for constructive criticism because it’s helpful for the work we do,” she said. “Our work is important. The commissioners and I intend to continue because that’s what the survivors and families are telling us. We intend to continue.”Assembly co-chair Harold Tarbell noticed there were still long lines at the microphones so he recognized Neskonlith First Nation Chief Judy Wilson.She referred to reports that the inquiry has cost more than $50 million so far.“Fifty-four million is for nothing if there’s no justice,” she said. “Canada has to get it right. There’s a stark difference between the TRC (Truth and Reconciliation Commission) and this inquiry. Why? Is it money? Is it organization? Is it how it’s led?”Wilson said the scope of the inquiry was too limited and not designed to bring perpetrators to justice.It was then the Fort William chief got the floor.“I want to put a resolution forward to ask for an extension because if the inquiry doesn’t go forward it will have failed,” said Peter Collins.He added that the terms of reference that started the whole process, designed by the federal government, were a failure themselves, seeking to limit accountability for the damage done to thousands of First Nations people.(Inquiry commissioner Qajaq Robinson sits at the AFN and listens to criticism of Marion Buller and the workings of the commission. Photo: APTN)Earlier, Buller seemed to sense she would face some criticism.During her presentation, she pointed out that the job was tough and the commission would continue to need all the help and support it could get.“The task given to the national inquiry is daunting. We cannot do it alone,” she told the chiefs. “I know that we’ve been criticized and some of that criticism has been valid. But we’ve done a lot of work and it’s only been nine months. Somehow that’s been lost in the translation. The TRC had seven years, we’ve been given two.”She reported that a new team of statement takers who would seek out incarcerated women and people on the street. The commission has also asked the federal government to come up with more money for after-care for those who do testify.“We have to dig deeper. That’s what the families and the people in this room have told us,” Buller [email protected]last_img read more

Read More Im actually repulsed that youre here AFN votes to oust Buller from