Reuters WellingtonMarch 18, 2019UPDATED: March 18, 2019 18:36 IST CEO Dave Richardson says security at the World Cup in England and Wales will be the ICC’s top priority (AP Photo)There is no question of being complacent with security at this year’s World Cup in England and Wales following a mass shooting at two Christchurch mosques last week, the International Cricket Council (ICC) has said.Members of the Bangladesh cricket team narrowly avoided being caught up in the shooting, which killed 49 people, by a suspected white supremacist last Friday.Their third Test against New Zealand that had been scheduled to start on Saturday at nearby Hagley Oval was subsequently cancelled and it also prompted calls from Asian cricket officials and politicians to step up security for touring teams.ICC chief executive David Richardson said security was always an issue for his organisation and ensuring the May 30-July 14 World Cup in England and Wales was safe would be a priority.”It has always been the case that we’ve had to make sure that we keep security absolutely priority, not only for the players but also for the visiting media, fans, spectators and everyone who attends the event,” Richardson was quoted as saying by cricket website Cricinfo.”Something happening in New Zealand probably took a lot of people by surprise and it emphasised the need not to be complacent, especially going into the World Cup.”I know the work done already by the security director together with all the security agencies in the UK, they are leaving no stone unturned, and if the threat level should rise in any way we will (further upgrade) the plans in place.”Cricket teams have previously abandoned tours because of security fears but most had been in South Asia, including Bangladesh which Australia decided against touring in 2015.advertisementSri Lanka’s team bus was attacked by gunmen in Lahore during their tour of Pakistan in 2009. Six members of the team were wounded, while six security personnel and two civilians were killed.Pakistan still host nearly all of their international matches in the United Arab Emirates due to ongoing security concerns.New Zealand abandoned their 1987 tour of Sri Lanka following a bombing near their hotel in Colombo in which more than 100 people were killed.They also abandoned a tour of Pakistan in May 2002 following a suicide bombing outside their hotel in Karachi.For sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byrohan sen Tags :Follow ICCFollow Dave RichardsonFollow christchurch mosque shootingsFollow New Zealand mosque shooting ICC rules out complacency on World Cup security after Christchurch mosque shootingsICC chief executive David Richardson said security was always an issue for his organisation and ensuring the May 30-July 14 World Cup in England and Wales was safe would be a priority.advertisement
The meetings held today in Geneva between representatives of Georgia, Russia, the European Union (EU), the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) and the UN encountered some procedural difficulties, forcing officials to suspend the afternoon sessions and continue with consultations.Speaking to reporters after the talks ended, the Secretary-General’s Special Representative for Georgia, Johan Verbeke, said one should not dramatize the “procedural incident” that happened today.Without going into the details of what took place, he noted that all participants had been present, had expressed their views, and had acted in a responsible way. Mr. Verbeke said it had been decided to create some “breathing space” to address the few outstanding procedural points, adding that the current suspension of work was only temporary. It was also decided that the next meeting will be held on 18 November.Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, who was in Geneva last night for discussions ahead of today’s technical level meetings, has emphasized the need for patience, noting that it will take time to address all the various aspects of the conflict that broke out in the Caucasus country in August and resolve outstanding issues. Speaking to reporters following a working dinner with EU and OSCE officials, Mr. Ban referred to today’s talks as a “beginning” and that they should not be seen as the end.“It may take time, so we need to have some patience on addressing this issue,” he said. “In a short time we need to try our best efforts among the parties concerned to restore confidence so that we can establish a good conflict resolution process in the end.” The Secretary-General said he was encouraged by the general consensus among the parties to resolve the issue through dialogue, and that the accord initiated by President Nicolas Sarkozy of France and President Dmitry Medvedev of Russia provided a “good framework” on which to begin discussions. He also noted that the UN has been engaged in Georgia since 1993 through UNOMIG, the observer mission entrusted with overseeing the ceasefire accord between the Government and Abkhaz separatists in the country’s north-west.“The United Nations has gained over 15 years of accumulated experience and know-how in terms of military observation, human rights, policing, humanitarian assistance, displaced persons and good offices. We have been in contact with the authorities of Abkhazia and they also further indicated that the United Nations should also continue to operate in that area. This is a good sign,” he said.In a recent report, Mr. Ban noted that the changes brought about by the Russian-Georgian conflict in South Ossetia in August have cast some uncertainty over the future function of UNOMIG. “We should not be too impatient or in a hurry to have a so-called ‘quick fix’ resolution of this issue. This may take time,” he said last night. “In the later stage, we need to look at all these issues in a comprehensive manner after dealing with more practical issues.” The Security Council last week extended UNOMIG’s mandate on a technical basis until 15 February 2009, as recommended by Mr. Ban.In a related development, the International Court of Justice (ICJ) today issued its order on a number of provisional measures in the case brought by Georgia against Russia with regard to alleged violations of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination.Georgia filed the case in August, asking the ICJ – the UN’s principal judicial organ – to impose provisional measures to preserve its right under the Convention to “protect its citizens against violent discriminatory acts by Russian armed forces, acting in concert with separatist militia and foreign mercenaries” on and around its territory. The court today indicated that both parties shall refrain from any act of racial discrimination and from sponsoring, defending or supporting such acts, and that they shall facilitate humanitarian assistance.In addition, they shall refrain from any action which might prejudice the respective rights of the parties or might aggravate or extend the dispute, the ICJ added in its order. 15 October 2008Today’s high-level talks on Georgia have wrapped up with the parties deciding to continue their discussions next month and to create “breathing space” to address some outstanding procedural points, a senior United Nations envoy said.